Cal OES is hiring for Cybersecurity Center Commander
Several high-level leadership positions are being recruited within the state government – including the leadership of the California Cybersecurity Integration Center (Cal-CSIC).
The cybersecurity role — titled “commander– is a large, overseeing “multi-agency coordination center integrating all aspects of California’s statewide cybersecurity mission”. The commander role is categorized as “Senior Assistant to the Governor/ Governor’s Office” and has no job classification. This requires a rigorous background check and either a “Secret” designation or the ability to obtain one within nine months of taking office.
Cal-CSIC is part of the Office of the Governor of Emergency Services (Cal OES).
“The Commander will lead the development of policies and processes to ensure the success of Cal-CSIC operations statewide, with a primary focus on the conduct of cyber security and cyber incident response operations, l ‘cyber threat analysis and the creation of cybersecurity partnerships with public and private entities,’ said the job offer said. “The commander will work to resolve operations policy discrepancies to ensure the implementation of statewide programs and initiatives.”
Cal-CSIC has broad responsibilities in protecting the state against digital attacks, including:
- Develop a statewide cybersecurity strategy;
- Oversee a Cyber Incident Response Team, which serves as California’s primary unit in detecting, reporting, and responding to cyber threats for the public and private sectors;
- Assist law enforcement partners in criminal investigations of cybersecurity incidents;
- Collect and share cyber threat information among state agencies, utilities, academic institutions, private businesses, and others throughout the state;
- Provide warnings of cyberattacks to government agencies and non-government partners;
- Support public and private sector partners in protecting their vulnerable IT infrastructure and networks; and
- Assess risks to critical infrastructure and information technology networks, threats to California’s critical infrastructure and key resources, and threats from emerging and disruptive technologies.
Requirements for the position include:
- Must possess or be eligible for a minimum secret clearance through Top Secret, with compartment sensitive information eligibility preferred.
- Must obtain a secret security clearance from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) within nine months of appointment.
- Must be able to maintain secret DHS security clearance.
The position will be a hybrid of telecommuting and an in-person role.
“The Commander, working in close coordination with the Commander, State Threat Assessment Center, will manage the implementation of technology solutions to enhance the State’s automated collection and dissemination of raw and finished threat intelligence. cyber threats,” said the declaration of duty said. “The commander will also serve as a liaison with local, state, federal, non-governmental, and private counterparts on all cybersecurity-related matters.”
The role was held most recently by Jonathan Nunezwho was commander for two years.
The monthly salary range for this position is $13,900 to $18,931 and the application deadline is June 20.
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is looking for a chief (IT Manager II) to oversee multidisciplinary sections including database and middleware management, server infrastructure and identity management, storage engineering and data protection management, and network engineering and network operations management.
“The incumbent oversees one of the most complex infrastructures in the state,” said the job offer says, “and has sole responsibility for the management of policies, standards, processes, procedures for the analysis, design, implementation, maintenance and operation of Caltrans’ IT infrastructure. The incumbent has full responsibility for the management of the organization, planning, coordination, direction and control of all activities associated with the daily operations of the ISB (Infrastructure Service Branch).
More information about the role can be found in the declaration of duty. The position has a monthly salary range of $10,167 to $12,359 and the application deadline is June 28.
The Financial Information System for California (FI$Cal) is recruiting for a chief (IT Manager II) of the Emerging Technologies and Integration Services Office (ETISO). The Chief will be responsible for managing FI$Cal’s web services, including the Internet, intranet, collaboration, training, and other general support services systems. ETISO also manages FI$Cal’s emerging technologies, including robotic process automation services, supplier portal and artificial intelligence solutions such as chatbots.
Other responsibilities include “the operations of FI$Cal’s enterprise integration services, such as interfacing FI$Cal with external and internal systems and batch processes, which includes mission-critical production processing “, the job offer said. “This position has full responsibility for organizing, planning, directing, coordinating and managing all activities associated with ETISO.”
Desirable qualifications include:
- Experience in managing all activities associated with the operations of large scale complex web services, emerging technology solutions, critical interfaces and batch processes.
- Experience in supporting system availability, performance and service level objectives of large scale complex web services, emerging technology solutions, critical interfaces and batch processes.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 and Azure, Robotic Process Automation (RPA) technologies, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning solutions, as well as integration technologies and architectural patterns.
- Applied knowledge of the principles and practices related to the design, implementation and operation of information technology systems and services.
- Applied knowledge of research and information technology best practice methods and processes to identify current and emerging trends in risk management technologies and processes.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies and their applications to business processes.
- Applied knowledge of state information technology policies and standards and related federal and state regulations.
The job has a monthly salary range of $10,167 to $12,359, and the application deadline is June 22. More details are available in the declaration of duty.